Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2019

Vanity upon vanity

A few days ago, I went to get a pedicure.

As I sat and did my pedicure, a few women around me were getting their nails done. As y'all may already know, nails are a big thing in town now.

And as I admired to a small degree the nails being done, I counted it expedient to have my nails painted. Truth is, I wasn't going to fix nails, but it looked pretty nice on the ladies. I thought, what harm would occur if I got mine painted also? In order to make my nails last longer since I never seem to survive with regular polish for more than a week, I opted for the "gel" nail polish.

I finished up my pedicure and gel nail polish ( took a lot of my time ), and home I went, excited that i was looking wifely to a large extent.

Well, lets fast forward to Monday morning and all my nails are off. They comfortably peeled off.

I had a mix of emotions when i saw the first piece coming off on Sunday evening and the horror when 3 were out by night. I literally spent time and money getting those done, and what do I get out of it? fake polish 🤦🏾‍♀

Well Monday morning comes and here I am with my nails bare of any polish. As I drove to work I looked at the pile of peeled off nail polish on my skirt and all I heard was "vanity upon vanity, all is vanity"

When I sit and think of it, what was my real reason for getting my polish done at a salon? A regular me, just paints my nails myself, because I am good at it. But deep in my subconscious I wanted to feel a sense of importance of getting "my nails done" at a salon.

Well here I am on Monday morning without the privilege of even showing off my nails to my colleagues.

As I thought of this, the Holy Spirit made me see how this act of mine, is a reflection of the daily life and decisions a lot of us make daily. Decisions we make, not because they solely benefit us in any way, but simply because we see others doing it.

Why have we relegated ourselves to want things that are not useful to us?
Vanity[b] of vanities, says the Preacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity. Ecc 1: 1
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:Deuteronomy 30:19

Daily, each minute, each second God places before us the chance to make decisions that benefit us. Question is, what do we choose? The vanities of this world or that which is expedient?

1 comment:

  1. It takes the grace of God and self will not to follow after the ways of men. Vanity it is when we want to be like the next door neighbor.

    ReplyDelete